Job title: Forest restoration field technician
Plant-for-the-Planet is a global organization advocating for large-scale reforestation around the world and is the leader of the Trillion Tree Campaign. Plant-for-the-Planet is also working to reforest and protect 22,500 ha near the Reserva de la Biosfera Calakmul, Campeche, Mexico. Plant-for-the-Planet is currently developing their Campeche reserve into a model of tropical forest restoration and we are seeking staff that are excited about global reforestation.
We are hiring two field technicians to help with the coordination of multiple forest restoration projects near Constitucion, Campeche to start in February 2021. The primary responsibilities of a forest restoration field technician will include the coordination of data collection of the monitoring program, seed collection and the execution of 2021 planting plan. We are looking for applicants that have a strong interest and experience with topics such as forest restoration, agroforestry, or ecology. Day to day the field technician will coordinate with on-site manager and Plant-for-the Planet field crews to organise field work, seed collection, seed storage, data collection for our monitoring program and overseeing 2021 planting on our sites. Additionally, the field technician
will maintain frequent contact with on-site Plant-for-the-Planet staff.
The selected applicant will be given a 6-month contract with the possibility of becoming a longer-term employee pending future project needs. Starting salary is $14,000 MXN per month. Health insurance (IMSS) and benefits (INFONAVIT) are included.
- Bachelor’s degree with extensive experience in biology, ecology, forestry, restoration,
agroforestry, or a related field.
- Willingness to spend periods of eleven days at the field sites in southern Campeche, followed by
a 3.5-day weekend. (Constitucion). Housing, meals and a vehicle to drive to field sites will be
- Strong communication, attention to detail, troubleshooting and teamwork skills.
- Field experience such as conducting forest inventory surveys, data collection or plant surveys.
- Experience with data entry programs and data collection.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Strong communication in both English and Spanish.
- Knowledge of the flora of the Yucatán peninsula (especially trees).
- Experience conducting scientific research.
We value and promote the diversity of our employees and applicants. To apply please send a resume, cover letter (en español está bien), the names and e-mail addresses for two references to Felix Finkbeiner (email@example.com).