Plant-for-the-Planet is a youth-led non-profit organization with a vision to restore a Trillion Trees. We are a collective of young climate justice ambassadors, environmental scientists, designers, and software developers – in the Americas, Asia & Europe – working together to find solutions to the climate crisis.
We are looking for a Senior Restoration Ecologist for our Yucatan Restoration and Conservation project based in Constitución, Campeche.
You will work closely with our research partners at international research institutions (inkl. ETH Zürich, Imperial College London, and INIFAP) and lead a team of research assistants to conduct field experiments to test restoration methods. Research directions include soil microbiome restoration, natural vs assisted restoration, species composition, and planting densities.
You will also
- Help design the restoration strategy for the Yucatan Restoration Project
- Advice on design of restoration software like our WebApp and apps like TreeMapper, SeedManager & FireAlert
- Oversee the building of a restoration advice team that helps some of our over 200 restoration partner projects around the world solve their challenges and improve their restoration work
- Present restoration plans and outcomes to our external advisors and gather feedback
- Coordinate with Plant-for-the-Planet’s international offices to describe the outcomes of our work in Mexico
This position is based in Constitución, Campeche where on-site housing and three meals are provided. Some flexibility in working location is negotiable, but you are expected to spend most of your time on site.
Required Skills and Experience
- PhD (or master’s) and publication record in restoration ecology
- 2+ years of experience managing teams
- Intimate knowledge of conservation and restoration methods
- Experience with forest restoration projects
- Experience conducting forest inventories
- Speak Spanish (and English)
Good to have
- Experience with remote-sensing based forest monitoring
- Research experience in soil microbial ecology and/or soil science
We value and promote the diversity of our employees and applicants. Please email your application documents (resume and cover letter), stating your earliest possible starting date and your salary expectations to Felix Finkbeiner (firstname.lastname@example.org).